About this Blog

Welcome! Thanks for checking out On Food Stamps.

I created this blog in 2009 when I began working at the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank. My work at this organization opened my eyes to food justice issues in America, and I had a strong desire to better understand the difficulties many people face when trying to access healthy food on a limited budget. So, I embarked on my own Food Stamp Challenge, living on $31/week as a vegan. I used this blog to chronicle my experience.

While my Food Stamp Challenge project has come to an end, you can see what I learned from it by reading the Greatest Hits posts linked to the right side of the page. Please excuse any out-of-date links, as I am no longer updating this blog on a regular basis.

Stay Hungry,

Julie

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Local Food. Local People. Avedano's Meats.

Vegetarianism is a major pillar of sustainable eating for me. Few things would bring me to venture into a butcher shop, but when I came across this place in Bernal Heights in San Francisco I was curious.

Maybe it was the "Local Food. Local People." thing. Whatever it was, I found myself talking to a young man over a display case of meat.

Turns out, this butcher shop has quite the mission:

We believe that exceptional meals start with exceptional raw materials—and with a combined 40 years experience in the food industry, we should know. We source premium products our customers can feel good about: grass-fed beef, wild-caught and responsibly farmed fish, seasonal local and organic produce, and handpicked gourmet pantry items. Our menu of prepared foods changes daily so that we can select from the freshest, best ingredients available each day. Our mission is to provide our customers with great food they can feel confident eating.

I admire, once again, this small business with a clear mission that aligns profit with conscience. As my dad likes to say, "Doing good while doing well."

I bought a Carmel candy in support. That says a lot.

1 comment:

  1. Love shops like this but usually out of my price range. How was the carmel?

    ReplyDelete