About this Blog

Welcome! Thanks for checking out On Food Stamps.

I created this blog in 2009 when I began working at the Los Angeles Regional Foodbank. My work at this organization opened my eyes to food justice issues in America, and I had a strong desire to better understand the difficulties many people face when trying to access healthy food on a limited budget. So, I embarked on my own Food Stamp Challenge, living on $31/week as a vegan. I used this blog to chronicle my experience.

While my Food Stamp Challenge project has come to an end, you can see what I learned from it by reading the Greatest Hits posts linked to the right side of the page. Please excuse any out-of-date links, as I am no longer updating this blog on a regular basis.

Stay Hungry,

Julie

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Zucchini with Mint and Curry


Ingredients:

1 onion
3 zucchini
curry powder
olive oil
mint

Roughly cut the onion and saute in no more than 2 tablespoons of olive oil. While onions are cooking, wash and chop the mint and zucchini. Once the onions are translucent, add 2 tsp of curry powder and mix around. Toss in the zucchini, and make sure the veggies all get a bit of curry and oil on them. Then add the mint pieces and toss again. Continue to cook until zucchini are done but crunch.

I added left over sweet potato and paprika beans to this mixture at the end. It would really work with any veggie. The olive oil, curry, mint, and onion are the important base.

No comments:

Post a Comment